Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I will not talk about Kanye West

And I mean it.
Tonight, I want to talk about the virtue of a good night's sleep.
For years now, I have been an on again/off again insomniac. It comes in cycles. Right now, I am in the midst of one of the worst cycles I have ever had.
My insomnia comes in two forms. Either I cannot stay asleep, or I cannot fall asleep. Right now, it's the latter.
In the past two weeks, I have been falling asleep around 6 a.m. Yesterday, I fell asleep at about 8:30 in the morning. It was the start of a lovely day. I know, I saw it happen.
I slept for about four hours then forced myself to wake up in the hopes that by the evening, I would be so exhausted, I could not help but fall asleep at a halfway decent hour. Well, clock on the wall say 3:37 a.m. and I am not feeling too terribly tired at the moment.
It's amazing what sleep can do for us. It resets everything. It gives us peace of mind and refreshes the batteries.
When that is taken away from us, for whatever reason, things go hazy real quick like. What do I mean by this? Well, we've all pulled all nighters in college, studying for some big exam. We've all had projects for work that kept us up all night. Think back to those nights, when all is quiet and it's just you there alone. Your mind starts playing tricks on you. Your body begins to get weary. No amount of coffee or soda or Red Bull (I think that stuff sucks by the way) can change that. In the dead of that night, you could easily picture yourself going crazy. You even begin to wonder if it has already started.
I am in the middle of about 12 of those nights in a row. It begins to take it's toll. I find myself less able to focus and react. My reflexes are down and my mind feels slightly foggy. It short, it sucks.
I miss a good night's sleep. I need one, desperately. The only solace I take is that I know eventually the cycle will break. Eventually one night around 10:30 or 11:oo in the evening my body will say, "OK. Let's go to sleep." And I will sleep through the night. And that is all it takes. One night can completely make up for weeks of insomnia. I wake up the next morning feeling refreshed, feeling awake and aware.
Hopefully that day will happen soon. In the meantime, I hope all of you out there, wherever you are, sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment