Friday, August 6, 2010

100 greatest love songs

So I have rethought my love song list, and made some changes. You won't agree with them all. You will say I left off your favorite (maybe) or should've kicked out one of the others. Some genres aren't represented, like country, which I hate, therefore, I didn't include. Other bands were left out entirely, like Journey. Because they suck. So here it is:

1) In My Life - The Beatles
I still consider this the holy grail of love songs. There is something incredible about this song that just sums it all up, doesn't it? "But of all these friends and lovers, there is no one compares with you."
2) All I want is You - U2
So many of their love-tinged songs had had such a dark tint. Think "One" or "With or Without You." This one is just a great love song. "All the promises we break, from the cradle to the grave. And all I want is you."
3) God Only Knows - The Beach Boys
Layered with lush harmonies, it received the ultimate endorsement. Paul McCartney called it the greatest song ever recorded. "If you should ever leave me, though life would still go on believe me, the world could show nothing to me, so what good would living do me?"
4) What is Life? - George Harrison
I moved this song up in the list, as I believe it never gets the recognition it deserves. Who says love songs have to be ballads? They can be up-beat rockers, too! "Tell me what is my life, without your love? Tell me who am I, without you by my side?"
5) Bargain - The Who
Not as upbeat as Harrison's entry, but still a rocker, this is a rather bizarre, with Daltrey screaming all over it, entry into the love song genre for The Who, but still a great song. "I'd gladly lose me to find you. Gladly give up all I got."
6) Secret World - Peter Gabriel
That's right. Not "In Your Eyes." At least not yet. This is a long, long love song, clocking in at just under 10 minutes, but Gabriel knows his way around a love song. "Down by the railway siding, in our secret world we were colliding. In all the places we were hiding love. What was it we were thinking of?"
7) Here, There, and Everywhere - The Beatles
A song written by Paul McCartney about his then girlfriend Jane Asher, it's not too long, at just over two minutes, but it's soft, it's sweet, and it's one of the best pop songs ever crafted. "There, running my hands through her hair. Both of us thinking how good it can be."
8) Your Song - Elton John
Elton's announcement to the world that he had arrived. It is one of the best examples of how two parts can make a whole, with Elton's music and Bernie Taupin's lyrics. "Excuse me forgetting but these things I do. You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue. Anyway, the thing is, what I really mean. Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen."
9) Secret Garden - Bruce Springsteen
A little more sexual than some of the other songs present, it is the Boss' crowning love song. It's sweet, it's soft, it's sensual. It's the Boss at his best. "She'll let you in her house, if you come knocking late at night. She's let you into the parts of herself if the words you say are right."
10) Everything I Do (I do it for you) - Bryan Adams
Cheesy? A little? Over the top? Perhaps. It's also an amazingly crafted pop song that is so damned romantic. "Yeah I'd fight for you. I'd lie for you. Walk the wire for you. Yeah, I'd die for you. You know it's true, everything I do, I do it for you."
11) Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
12) I Would do Anything for Love (But I won't do That) - Meatloaf
13) Let There be Love - Oasis
14) Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney
15) Touch Me - The Doors
16) It Had to be You - Harry Connick Jr.
17) Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
18) Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis Presley
19) Just Breathe - Pearl Jam
Eddie Vedder is no longer the young, 20-something that wrote such angry songs as "Evenflow," "Better Man," "Animal" or "Jeremy." The simple fact of the matter is, he is in his 40s, he is married, he has kids, and he is happy. So yeah, Eddie. Go write your love songs!
"Did I say that I need you? Did I say that I want you? Oh, if I didn't I'm a fool you see."
20) Yours - Blues Traveler
This rather obscure track from "...Straight on 'til Morning" is really a splendid love song. Six minutes long, John Popper's trademark harmonica soars right along with his voice. And the lyrics are Popper's masterpiece.
"All that I begin is yours, every prize I win is yours, at your feet again I'm yours, all I am is yours."
21) Africa-Toto
22) Woman - John Lennon
23) And so it Goes - Billy Joel
24) Change the World - Eric Clapton
25) Fields of Gold - Sting
26) When a Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge
27) No Other Baby - Paul McCartney
28) Angel Dream No. 4 - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Tom Petty is a helluva songwriter, that should be obvious at this point. Yet somehow, he gets overlooked in the conversation of greatest writers of rock. Influences by the Beatles, Byrds, Bob Dylan, and Beach Boys, he took all that and made a sound his own. This love song is perhaps the most beautiful ballad he has constructed.
"I saw an angel. I saw my fate. I can only thank God it was not too late."
29) Lay Lady Lay - Bob Dylan
30) Everything she does is Magic - The Police
31) Colorful - Rocco DeLuca and the Burden
32) Brighter than Sunshine - Aqualung
33) Love of a Lifetime - Firehouse
34) Beautiful Night - Paul McCartney
35) Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
36) Can't Help Falling in Love - UB40
37) If I Fell - The Beatles
38) You Got It - Roy Orbison
The comeback kid. Roy Orbison released this in the 1980s, decades after his era of prominence. However, some rock folk always loved him, and George Harrison, Tom Petty, and Jeff Lynne helped him craft this comeback song. Basically saying, whatever you want, I can do that.
"Everytime I hold you I begin to understand. Everything about you tells me I'm your man."
39) Taking you Home - Don Henley
40) (Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon
41) Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns n Roses
42) You Took the Words Right out of My Mouth - Meatloaf
A mini rock opera, this song is just so much fun, and so damned sweet, you can't help but love it. Perfectly suited to Meatloaf's massive voice, and there is no other way to describe his voice, how nice is a vision of someone saying they love you in a kiss?
"You were licking your lips, and your lipstick shining I was dying just to ask for a taste. We were lying together in a silver lining by the light of the moon."
43) My Girl - The Temptations
44) It's all too Much - The Beatles
45) Got My Mind Set on You - George Harrison
46) Talk Tonight - Oasis
47) I've Just Seen a Face - The Beatles
48) Tiny Dancer - Elton John
49) Crash - Dave Matthews Band
50) Hello, I Love You - The Doors
51) Oh Daddy - Fleetwood Mac
52) I Melt With You - Modern English
53) Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears
54) Something - The Beatles
Frank Sinatra called this the best love song he ever heard. Long considered George Harrison's masterpiece, it showed that he had caught John Lennon and Paul McCartney as a songwriter. Listen for the excellent haromies Harrison and McCartney weave. And the amazing bassline McCartney crafted is proof positive that he is one of the finest bassists the world has had.
"Something in the way she knows, and all I have to do is think of her. Something in the way she woos me."
55) Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
56) Just the Way you Are - Billy Joel
57) You Make Loving Fun - Fleetwood Mac
58) Still the One - Shania Twain
59) Somebody to Love - Queen
60) Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
61) Never Gonna Give you Up - Barry White
62) Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
63) You Are so Beautiful - Joe Cocker
64) If not for You - George Harrison
65) What Light - Wilco
66) Michelle - The Beatles
67) Oh, Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
68) Love Me Tender - Elvis Presley
69) I'm a Believer - The Monkees
70) I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
71) Wonderwall - Oasis
The spark that ignited worldwide Oasismania, this song was inescapable in the mid-90s. Off the classic "(What's the Story) Morning Glory," it showed that Noel Gallagher could write a catchy song in his sleep, and that his brother Liam, was the perfect vehicle for his songs. Not since Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey had two men been able to read each other like this in rock.
"I said maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me. And afterall, you're my wonderwall."
71) I Will - The Beatles
72) Melissa - The Allman Brothers Band
73) Bad - U2
74) Something About the Way you Look Tonight - Elton John
75) Collide - Howie Day
76) Everything you Want - Vertical Horizon
77) Earth Angel - The Penguins
78) If I Ever Lose my Faith - Sting
79) Let my Love Open the Door - Pete Townshend
The Who is one of those groups that is more the whole, than the sum. But Pete Townshend is an amazing songwriter, and nothing was gonna change that. This solo track is truly special, and he showed he could handle the vocals on his own, thanks. Though one has to wonder how great this song would've been with Roger Daltrey's astounding voice singing it.
"When everything feels all over, everybody seems unkind. I give you a fourleaf clover, take all worry out of your mind."
80) In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
John Cusack. Boombox. Peter Gabriel. An indelible image. And a song of soaring beauty and splendor, and Peter Gabriel never really saw it as a love song. That's OK, Peter, it has been adopted and made classic. How is he not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
"In your eyes. The light the heat. In your eyes, I am complete, In your eyes, the resolution, of all my fruitless searches. Oh, I want to be that complete. Oh, I want see the light the heat."
81) Loving Flame - Paul McCartney
82) Can You Feel the Love Tonight? - Elton John
83) Don't Go Away - Oasis
84) At Last - Etta James
85) Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
86) She's got a Way - Billy Joel
87) Isn't She Lovely? - Stevie Wonder
88) Bed of Roses - Bon Jovi
89) More than Words - Extreme
90) Something to Talk About - Bonnie Raitt
91) I'll Stand by You - The Pretenders
92) Call Me - Blondie
93) More than a Feeling - Boston
One of the classic, monster riffs of all time. Who doesn't want to rock when they are in love? And that soaring falcetto. I mean, c'mon!
"When I'm tired and thinking cold. I turn on some music, forget the day. And dream of a girl, I used to know."
94) Voices - Cheap Trick
95) Wicked Game - Chris Isaak
96) And I Love Her - The Beatles
97) For you Blue - The Beatles
98) This Year's Love - David Gray
An amazing piece of music, it is beautiful, it is vulnerable, and it is true. How many times have we all thought, before we decide to go ahead with it again, this time it better last, because I can't do this all over again.
"When you hold me like you do, it feels so right, oh now. I start to forget how my heart gets torn, when that hurts gets thrown."
99) She Will be Loved - Maroon Five
100) Wildflowers - Tom Petty

No comments:

Post a Comment