Saturday, August 28, 2010

Greatest sad/breakup/heartbreak songs

Sometimes, you just feel the need to listen to a sad song. It doesn't matter if you've been through a breakup, a rebuff, or just feel like perpetuating a sad mood. Nothing like a good sad song to show you aren't the only one who has been there.

1) For no One - The Beatles
Written after a fight between Paul McCartney and then girlfriend Jane Asher, it is perhaps the most melancholy song the Beatles ever recorded.
"And in here eyes you see nothing, no sign of love behind the tears, cried for no one."
2) Trouble - Cat Stevens
This is a song everyone can relate to in the long run. It's a song that basically says, "lookit, haven't I paid my dues?"
"Trouble, oh trouble can't you see, you have made me a wreck now won't you leave me in my misery."
3) One - U2
Perhaps U2's greatest musical accomplishment. It is also the song that saved U2 from a messy split. It also says I can't stand all this indecision.
"Did I ask too much? More than a lot? You gave me nothing now it's all I got."
4) Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Perhaps the most disfunctional band in rock history, Lindsay Buckingham channeled his anger, his frustration, his misery into this classic song of wanting one thing, but getting another.
"If I could, baby I'd give you my world. How can I, when you won't take it from me?"
5) Wasted Time - The Eagles
The search. That's what it comes down to, isn't it? The search. We are all looking for that one person who completes us. When we think we found it, only to discover we haven't, it is heart breaking.
"You never thought you'd be alone, this far down the line. And I know what's been on your mind. You're afraid it's all been wasted time."
6) I Miss You - Blink 182
There is one person for most of us, call them the one that got away, that remains a constant presence in our heads. A voice, if you will. This song appears to be written especially for those people.
"Will you come home and stop this pain tonight? Stop this pain tonight."
7) Only the Lonely - Roy Orbison
Sad! That's this song, to a "t." Roy Orbison was called The Voice, for good reason. In the annals of rock history, his may be the sweetest, saddest voice ever.
"Only the lonley know how I feel tonight. Only the lonely know this feelin' ain't right."
8) Somebody to Love - Queen
A cry from the desperate. Please, somebody help me to find someone to love, I can't stand this being along deal. Soaring Freddie Mercury vocals, great arrangement, great song.
"I just gotta get out of the prison cell, someday I'm gonna be free, lord."
9) Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley
The king had a soft side as well, as this song demonstrates. It's really the first great rock and roll sad song.
"Although it's always crowded, you can still find room. Where broken hearted lovers do cry away their gloom."
10) Photograph - Ringo Starr
Co-written by George Harrison, Ringo tapped into something we all have done, sat crying over a picture of a lost love, wishing they would come home, come back where they belong.
"I can't get use to living here while my heart is broke, my tears I cry for you."
11) Nothing Compares to You - Sinead O'Connor
12) You've got to Hide your Love Away - The Beatles
13) Don't go Away - Oasis
14) Black - Pearl Jam
15) I'll Stick Around - The Foo Fighters
16) Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
17) Long May you Run - Neil Young
Sometimes you have a breakup, that while sad, ended well, and wish nothing but the best for the person. That was what the legendary Mr. Young was saying here.
"Long may you run, long may you run. With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run."
18) Talk to Me - Peter Gabriel
19) With or Without You - U2
20) Don't Stand so Close to Me - The Police
21) Paint it, Black - The Rolling Stones
22) I Will Buy you a New Life - Everclear
23) I Fall to Pieces - Patsy Cline
24) Wish you were Here - Pink Floyd
25) Fool in the Rain - Led Zeppelin
26) Yesterday - The Beatles
27) The Heart of the Matter - Don Henley
28) Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis
29) Brand New Day - Sting
30) Every Breath you Take - The Police
31) Since You Been Gone - Rainbow
A rocking breakup song, for sure, but a good one no less. Loud guitars, high singing. Great tune.
"Your poison letter, your telegram, just goes to show you don't give a damn."
32) I Hate Everything About You - Ugly Kid Joe
33) Candlebox - Far Behind
34) The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
35) Good Riddance (Time of your Life) - Green Day
36) I'm so Tired - The Beatles
37) Lips of an Angel - Hinder
38) Out of Tears - The Rolling Stones
39) Echo - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
40) Fourth Time Around - Bob Dylan
41) I'm Losing You - John Lennon
42) Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Not necessarily specifically a breakup song, but it can be used that way, with it's melancholy, the menace of Roger Water's vocals against David Gilmour's innocence, and that guitar solo, perhaps the greatest ever.
"There is no pain, you are receding. A distant ship smoke on the horizon. You are only coming through in waves. You lips move, I can't hear what you're saying."
43) Lord is it Mine? - Supertramp
44) Two out of Three Ain't Bad - Meatloaf
45) I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
46) Ain't no Sunshine - Bill Withers
47) These Boots are Made for Walking - Nancy Sinatra
48) Bye Bye Love - The Everly Brothers
49) It's Too Late - Carol King
50) These Eyes - The Guess Who
51) Girl - The Beatles
A tale of a man, who knows his woman is no good for him, but he keeps going back anyway. He isn't sure why, he just can't help it.
"Well she was told when she was young that pain would lead to pleasure, did she understand it when they said, that a man must break his back to earn his day of leisure, will she still believe it when he's dead?"
52) Falling Down - Oasis
53) You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi
54) November Rain - Guns n Roses
55) Every Rose has it's Thorn - Poison
56) Message in a Bottle - The Police
57) I want you Back - The Jackson 5
58) Mr. Brightside - The Killers
59) Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
60) Bell Bottom Blues - Eric Clapton
61) Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez
I first heard this song on an episode of Bones. It's not a well-known song, but it is absolutely, desolutely, heartbreakingly beautiful. Here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A20rx8VQnTE
"To call from hands of above, to lean on, wouldn't be good enough, for me no."
62) Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
63) Ticket to Ride - The Beatles
64) Last Kiss - Frank J. Wilson and the Cavaliers
65) Feelin' Alright - Traffic
66) Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen
67) Drive - The Cars
68) I Need You - The Beatles
69) The Thrill is Gone - B.B. King
70) Always Something There to Remind Me - Naked Eyes

2 comments: